Saturday, July 21, 2012

Math, Art and Science.

Growing up, my father taught me many things. An appreciation for the practical use of math was one of them. I didn't appreciate having to do basic algebra and geometry problems when I could have been playing Nintendo. But, knowing a little algebra and geometry proved to be more useful than a couple of calloused thumbs. Even more so now that I use it in my job as a designer.

To me, design is not all about making things pretty or cool looking. Design is about solving problems. Solving the problem is always my first priority. Making that solution elegant and unique or send a message is just one of the cool things you get to do in the process. Knowing a little math, geometry and maybe even a little physics can help a great deal in finding the solution. The process of finding a unique solution is an art form in itself.
Many artists use scientific process without giving science any credit. They do experiments, try new things, analyze the results and form hypotheses. Then based on the results they experiment further.

Having said all that.
Be sure to check out all the videos on YouTube of kinetic artwork and sculpture such as this one .
Also be sure to check out Theo Jansens creatures at strandbeest.com.
The photo below does them no justice. You need to see them in motion.
If that isn't art, i don't know what is.


No comments:

Post a Comment