Saturday, March 23, 2013

Hibernation

It's been 5 months or so since my last post. My daughter doesn't allow me to type while I'm feeding her anymore. So, posting has been difficult. Plus, it's not unusual for me to go into social hibernation during the winter as it is. I hate the cold and the snow and the shortage of sunlight. However durring those 5 months I haven't been inactive.
Shortly after my last post I stumbled upon a piece of software called "game editor". It's a standalone application for game development. It runs on windows but the games can be ported to iOS, Android, Mac, Linux, and PC. For a few years I've wanted to make an iOS game, but I simply can't afford to go out and buy a Mac. But, it looks like that limitation has been partially lifted. So, for the last 5 months in the slivers of spare time that I find, I've been developing a Zelda-esque Action RPG.
The software has predefined events and actions. But allows for a lot of custom programming in C. It's not without it's limitations. But, with all the areas for custom programming most things can be accomplished. The forum on the game editor website is very very helpful and friendly. Possibly the friendliest forum i've ever visited. I've never actually posted because most every question I've had had already been answered quite thoroughly.
At any rate. Level 1 should be ready to demo and bug test soon. The graphics are still only placeholders at the moment. I'm not exactly the best pixel artist.






Some day soon I will release a demo.
The bulk of the programming has been done. But, making the maps, cut scenes, and boss fights is tedious.
Not to mention the fact that my iphone crashed and i lost 4 months worth of notes that related to the games storyline... yet another delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment